In this post:
Employee training has come a long way from overhead projectors and smartboards. Education has benefited from the internet, which allows learning to extend beyond time and space constraints.
Digital learning hours are at their highest ever. In 2021, 80 percent of all learning hours were delivered using technology-based methods, like training management software.
The main purpose of training management software when it first came out was to share course content. In the decades since, it’s evolved into a comprehensive learning management system (LMS) that helps you:
- Design, manage, scale, and analyze training programs
- Manage certifications and qualifications for employees, teams, and partners
- Schedule and assign training courses
Training management software can help you develop better training courses that increase knowledge retention and your bottom line.
What is training management software?
Training management software lets you implement, organize, maintain, and scale training programs. Companies and specific departments use it to streamline their training management process.
How does a training management system work?
A training management system (TMS) is a cloud-based software used to manage online training and learning activities. Learning and development (L&D) departments invest in training software solutions to streamline their training program and centralize data.
With training software, you oversee the entire training process from a single platform. A training manager can quickly assign and reassign courses and learners can access training materials anytime. The data a TMS provides gives you valuable insights into the effectiveness of your training content and methods.
It covers three core elements of a successful corporate training initiative:
- Course Management: You can create, approve, and manage eLearning courses within the system. It’s easy to track course titles, descriptions, and engagement.
- Learner Management: You can keep track of learners across online courses and make data-driven decisions about which courses are right for each learner.
- Training Scheduling: You can automate course scheduling and ensure that the right learners are enrolled and which trainers are available.
Administration saves time and money on running training programs. With a TMS, you can build a learning engine that drives business outcomes and maintains a competitive advantage.
What features can a training management solution provide?
Now that you know the basics of a training management system, let’s look at some of the top functionalities they provide.
Another unique feature of training management solutions is integrations. For example, you can integrate your TMS with Slack so people can receive notifications for events and deadlines in a Slack feed.
WorkRamp integrates with powerful platforms like:
This allows you to build an all-inclusive, complete online learning experience by leveraging your existing tech stack.
Who is a training management system for?
Training management systems are ideal for businesses that want to create immersive training experiences.
They help various groups—like organizations, students, and managers—organize and manage their training programs.
Internal use cases:
- Keep track of all training materials and courses your company offers
- Run both self-paced and instructor-led training activities in one place
- Keep certifications up-to-date
- Create customized modules tailored to individual employee training needs
- Track employee progress and assign tests to measure understanding
- Measure the cost-effectiveness of training and onboarding programs
- Identify learning trends and cost-effective learning methods
External use cases:
- Access a network of expert instructors and courses to ensure top-notch training
- Provide eLearning materials, tutorials, and webinars to customers and partners
- Build interactive experiences for external parties
- Use data to ensure partner training is effective and efficient
Benefits of a training management system
Organizations can save time and resources by automating time-consuming tasks, such as scheduling training sessions and tracking learner progress.
Training platforms let trainers and employees share information, collaborate on projects, and communicate, which can improve teamwork.
Better tracking and reporting
You can easily report on and evaluate the effectiveness of your training programs with a training management system.
Employees can access training wherever they are, so organizations can train according to different schedules and locations.
Improved compliance training and risk management
Companies can reduce the risk of non-compliance by using training management systems to ensure employees get the training they need.
Higher employee engagement
Employees can learn more effectively with training management systems, which can motivate and engage them.
Read more: 9 Strategies to Improve Employee Engagement
An effective training management system can help organizations cut training costs, like hiring trainers, buying materials, and providing travel and accommodation.
Difference between training management software and a CRM
Training management software manages employee training programs, while CRM software manages customer relationships.
- Training management software aims to help companies keep track of their employee training. Things like scheduling training sessions, tracking who’s completed which training courses, and generating reports on how effective it was might be part of this.
- Customer relationship management (CRM) systems help businesses manage customer relationships. You might have to store customer contact info, track sales and marketing leads, and deal with customer service inquiries.
Although they involve using specialized software to organize and manage important information, they’re two completely different things that serve different purposes.
Build a training management system for your organization today
A training management system is the best way to give your employees and customers a complete learning experience. It helps you be more productive, manage eLearning content easier, and educate people from anywhere.
With an All-in-One Learning Platform like WorkRamp, you can build and launch training programs quickly and easily. Find out how WorkRamp can help you build your organization’s training management system.
Contact us to schedule a free, personalized demo.
- What is Employee Training? How to Build the Ultimate Employee Training & Development Program June 9, 2023
- How to Use an LMS for Customer Education: Driving Success Through Training & Support June 7, 2023
- Podcast Recap: LEARN with Randy Seidl June 6, 2023
- Do These 6 Things to Increase Customer Loyalty June 5, 2023
- What is an LMS? A Guide to Learning Management Systems June 4, 2023
Subscribe to the LEARN Newsletter.
Michael is a SaaS marketer living in Guadalajara, Mexico. Through storytelling and data-driven content, his focus is providing valuable insight and advice on issues that prospects and customers care most about. He’s inspired by learning people’s stories, climbing mountains, and traveling with his partner and Xoloitzcuintles.
You might also like
Discover how increasing your L&D budget benefits your team and your organization
Your team is your greatest asset, and investing in their learning and development benefits your business.
How to make learning a competitive advantage
Industry experts share actionable strategist to shape your L&D program and boost employee engagement.
Simple steps to promote continuous learning and improvement
Check out these three actionable ways to expand and improve your L&D program.
Decrease Ramp Time and Increase Revenue
Get in touch to learn how WorkRamp can help you achieve your learning and development goals.Request a Demo