What is Employee Training Tracking Software & How Can it Benefit Your Organization?
May 3, 2023
Learning Tips Straight to Your Inbox
In this post:
Employee training tracking software collects data so managers and company leaders can monitor training status and employee progress.
While every product has its unique layout and features, employee training tracking software aims to help you monitor and improve completion rates for various types of training, from technical and product training to diversity and leadership training.
The average midsize company spends 71 hours on training per employee. But training employees is just the beginning.
Learning and development (L&D) teams must ensure team members complete training, retrain when necessary, and retain learning materials. Keeping track of training is a difficult task for any organization.
Luckily, employee training tracking software can help you monitor completion rates and training compliance and help you deploy an effective training plan.
Learn why you should track employee training, how training software can help your business thrive, and examples of specific metrics you should be monitoring.
Why should you track employee training?
Accurately tracking employees’ training activity and productivity can be a logistical challenge, especially if your org is experiencing rapid change or growth. However, having a detailed training record can empower you to make more strategic decisions about priorities and allocating budget and resources.
Equipped with the right employee training tracking software, monitoring completion rates, course progress, and other metrics becomes a nearly effortless task.
There are four main reasons to track employee training using a formal online system:
- It reduces employee attrition. Employee attrition refers broadly to any loss of team members, whether for voluntary reasons (such as retirement) or involuntary reasons (such as layoffs or terminations). A small amount of attrition is inevitable, but you should aim for 10% or less.
- It drives more effective L&D programs. Tracking employee training helps you identify which parts of your learning content are sticking and which need to be reworked or fine-tuned. With actionable data, you can create more effective, dynamic training material that employees want to engage with.
- It keeps safety and compliance in check. Depending on factors like your industry and the size of your organization, there are likely training regulations that you need to comply with, such as requirements around specific types of health or safety certifications. By tracking employee training programs, you gain peace of mind knowing your team members are adequately trained.
- It promotes transparency. You’ll likely be expected to report data about your employee training systems and their efficacy to leadership. With an employee training tracking system, there are clear and objective records that everyone can refer to.
While significant, these aren’t the only advantages. Here are nine more ways your business can benefit from using employee training tracking software and some tips on specific metrics to track.
The top 9 benefits of tracking employee training
Organizations can benefit by implementing a system to track participation and completion of employee training courses and programs.
Training helps ensure that team members are prepared for their roles’ unique demands and challenges, which helps your organization stay ahead of the curve and remain an industry leader.
Here are nine ways you can benefit by tracking the right employee training metrics.
Decrease time (and money) spent on training
Off-site training can be costly between travel and hotel expenses. However, by delivering learning materials on demand, you can train your team faster, more efficiently, and cost-effectively, increasing productivity and freeing up employees’ time for higher priorities.
Develop and release training materials faster
Technology changes at lightning speed, and so do the industries it powers. So it’s crucial to deploy training resources just as quickly so that you can keep up with the newest standards and latest best practices, along with staying on top of shifting requirements and regulations.
Attract top-tier talent
The stronger your training programs, the more ambitious and goal-oriented candidates your organization will attract.
Offering robust training, such as earning a certificate online, can generate interest in various positions at your company.
Improve your onboarding process
Does your onboarding process feel clunky or inconsistent?
You can address those pain points with employee training tracking software, which lets you deliver onboarding materials rapidly and monitor whether new employees are progressing as expected.
Centralize training to score bigger wins
Centralizing training records and stats in a single hub, like WorkRamp, makes it easier to keep your organization’s data secure while ensuring that your information is accurate and up-to-date.
It also has another advantage: allowing you to track training progress and target knowledge gaps for better outcomes.
Improve employee engagement
Online training content is versatile. You can add gamification and interactive elements, use video, and leverage other content formats that are fun and engaging for employees.
Additionally, send notifications to employees to help them stay focused and on track.
Position your team members for greater success
Training isn’t the only determining factor behind success, but it can equip employees with skills that result in greater achievements. Through tailored training programs, your team members can practice existing skills, develop new ones, and stay up-to-date on the latest changes and requirements.
Stay compliant with regulations
Various federal and/or state laws may apply to your business and require you to provide multiple forms of employee training, particularly if you’re part of an industry that deals with hazardous equipment or materials.
Employee training tracking software makes monitoring completion rates easier and ensures that each of your team members completes required training for industry standards and legal requirements.
Boost employee retention
Losing too many employees can be costly and destructive to morale. On the other hand, providing relevant and engaging training opportunities contributes to employee satisfaction, which can help you retain a larger percentage of your team.
Read more: 7 Things Employees Want From Employers
What employee training metrics should you be tracking?
Employee training records are only helpful if they provide actionable insights about what’s working, what isn’t, and what needs to be phased out (or initiated).
Unfortunately, many organizations focus too much on completion rates, which, though important, only tell part of the story about the efficacy of your training programs.
To get a more accurate picture of training outcomes—and the extent to which your programs are helping you reach them—you’ll need to go beyond simple completion metrics and look at additional data points.
Here are 10 examples of what you should be tracking.
- Completion rates. From a legal standpoint, showing that your team members have completed training around various compliance requirements is essential. Tracking completion rates also informs you about which employees are ready to advance onto which materials.
- Course progress. It’s not just about finishing a course—it’s about making meaningful and consistent progress. Monitoring progress rates allows you to spot employees struggling or falling behind so that you know how and where extra support may be needed and can work on closing knowledge gaps.
- Assessment scores and training comprehension. Unfortunately, it’s possible to memorize training content without retaining or comprehending it. Assessments test employees on their long-term understanding and identify areas for improvement.
- Number of employees who need retraining. Regulations, industry standards, and technologies all change—and so do the training requirements that they affect. Plus, retraining can reinforce knowledge and provide a helpful refresher. Periodic retraining may even be mandatory, depending on the type of training involved, such as specific safety issues. Retraining ensures that your employees are up-to-date on the latest developments so your organization can keep pace with competitors.
- Learner satisfaction. It’s essential to create a positive experience for employees. One step you can take toward achieving that goal is to provide content that’s fun, dynamic, and engaging.
- Learner engagement. Employee training tracking software makes it easier to see which team members engage with the materials and advance at the expected rate.
- Lesson visits. You should identify which pieces of content receive the most hits or visits to see which type of material and format is the most relevant and valuable for your team. That means you’ll also become better equipped to produce better training content and help your employees pursue their professional development goals.
- Search queries. In addition to tracking which lessons or courses are most popular, monitor frequent search queries—then follow up by creating content tailored to fill those knowledge gaps.
- Skill mastery. Developing skills is a positive start, but mastering them is the ultimate goal. Employee tracking training software integrates features like interactive assessments and practice exercises that test whether skills are being mastered and maintained.
- Certifications. It’s essential to take certifications into account. Certifications distinguish employees with exceptional knowledge or skills in a specific area of expertise. With employee training tracking software, monitor which employees are certified, are earning certifications, or need to be recertified.
WorkRamp’s solution for employee training tracking
Leverage employee training tracking software to measure training completion and the impact of your programs. With WorkRamp, training data is at your fingertips, empowering you to implement cost-effective training that works.
With WorkRamp, you can automate, deliver, and monitor employee training. From instructor-led and compliance training software to our robust tracking and reporting tools, find the perfect fit for your needs.
Reduce expenses, retain more employees, ensure legal compliance, improve onboarding, deliver better learning content, and achieve your goals more efficiently.
Discover how our Employee Learning Cloud can help you provide the best training and resources to empower your team members and help your organization thrive.
Contact us to schedule a free, personalized demo.
Complete the form for a custom demo.
- Unlocking Sales Success Through Trust & Culture with Lindsey Scrase, CRO, Checkr September 21, 2023
- A Practical Guide to Building a High-Performance HR Tech Stack September 18, 2023
- What is Sales Enablement Training and Why You Can’t Afford to Ignore it September 15, 2023
- Stay Ahead or Fall Behind: Leveraging AI with Craig Walker, CEO, Dialpad September 14, 2023
- Management Dashboard: Empower, Elevate, & Excel with Enhanced Reporting September 13, 2023
You might also like
Try these strategies to improve employee engagement and performance
Companies with strong cultures see greater employee engagement and increased productivity. Learn to create a culture that promotes growth, helps you retain top talent, and drives results.
How to create employee development plans that work
By creating excellent employee development plans, you give team members a chance to reach their full potential—and show them their success is a priority.
Do you know what your employees really want?
Build a more productive, motivated workforce that improves your bottom line by offering these seven things.