Top 5 Virtual Onboarding & Team Building Activities for Remote Employees
April 14, 2021
Learning Tips Straight to Your Inbox
In this post:
We’re a year into the pandemic – and sitting in front of a camera with a beer in hand is no longer the solve-all for remote team building. Today, Zoom happy hours are evolving with a purpose – to drive employee engagement and build high-performing teams through a crafted Organizational Development strategy.
Mike Faber (Director of Learning & Development at Fivetran) and Alyssa Henriques (Sr Manager of People Operations at Kustomer) share the top 5 virtual team building activities that they leverages to increase team bonding, organizational agility, and company performance.
1. Encourage Healthy Competition – Deserted Island
In this game, teammates pretend that they’ve been stranded on a deserted island – and they must select 3 out of 7 given objects that will help them survive for the next foreseeable months. The facilitator should present 7 objects that are as obscure and challenging as possible to encourage critical thinking.
Objects may include:
- A bag of fruit seeds
- 2 Couch cushions
- A pocket knife
- 3L of Kerosene
Next, break the team into small groups and have each group collaborate on which items they should pick as a unit. After 5-10 minutes, bring everyone back into the main session and have each team discuss their picks.
2. Build Effective Team Communication Strategies – Story Time
Building stories is one of the oldest and most engaging activities you can lead. Here’s how you can facilitate this exercise:
- Form a “virtual circle” on video to assign order of operations
- Facilitator will kick off the story with an opening sentence and an incomplete, leading sentence. For example, “On Rachel’s first day at WorkRamp, her internet totally crashed. At first, she panicked, but then she…”
- The next teammate in the ‘virtual circle’ will complete the previous line and add another leading sentence.
- The next teammate will complete the previous sentence and add another leading sentence.
- Each teammate will build on the story–and once everyone has had a turn or two, the game can conclude.
3. Humanize Co-workers and Breakdown Assumptions – Show and Tell
Each teammate has one minute to “show and tell” around a theme that the facilitator shares ahead of time. Themes could be as simple as “something red-colored” or “something that represents the last year in the pandemic”. Teams can share something intangible (sharing stories) or a physical object within their reach.
If you have a chat functionality within your video conferencing tool, you should definitely encourage the team to share comments and foster conversations within the chat. This allows groups of all sizes to participate in the conversation, and folks who are sharing address them live – and engage with their teams.
4. Reinforce Company Values – Alien Invasion
Breakout the team into small groups of 3-4 teammates. Present this funky scenario:
Aliens have finally landed on Earth–but they don’t speak English, and it’s up to your group to explain why they shouldn’t blow up your company. Each group must pick five symbols or pictures to best represent the values and the impact your company has on the world.
5. Make Remote Onboarding Less Isolated – New Hire Passport
New hires are given a ‘digital passport’ at onboarding – designed to familiarize them with folks across the organization. This activity will ask new hires to meet other teammates for ‘virtual coffee’ – and have them complete a task associated with each meeting. Depending on what you’d like to achieve through this activity, you can:
- Have new hires meet at least one employee from each team/department
- Have new hires meet employees that match the ‘criteria’ – ie have vacationed in Hawaii, have a pet plant, loves ice cream, etc.
New hire would get ‘virtual stamps’ from employees they’ve met with. You can serve this activity in a word doc, an excel sheet, or built into an LMS (like WorkRamp) with check-points.
To learn more about how Learning & Development teams at Fivetran and Kustomer use WorkRamp LMS to scale remote onboarding programs – request a demo today.
Complete the form for a custom demo.
- 8 Lessons on Board Management with Ted Blosser, CEO & Co-Founder, WorkRamp November 30, 2023
- 11+ Sales Enablement Best Practices to Implement in 2024 November 30, 2023
- Why Do More With Less is Out for 2024 with Kelly Bray, VP, Product Led Success, MongoDB November 29, 2023
- The Trust Factor: 8 Proven Methods for Building Reliable Teams for Peak Performance November 29, 2023
- LMS vs. CMS: What are the Differences? November 28, 2023
You might also like
The L&D Playbook on Organizational Development
Learning and Development (L&D) practitioner Mikayla Posk shares her guide to facilitating team and organizational development through experiential learning.
#WomenLEAD – Lessons on Remote Work with Asana, Zoom, Reddit, and More
This month, female leaders in Revenue Enablement, Customer Education, and L&D share the most impactful lessons of remote work.
WorkRamp Awarded Top-Rated LMS Solution for 2021 by The Blueprint
WorkRamp has been named the 2021 Top LMS Solution for customers, partners, and employees by The Blueprint, a Motley Fool service.